Imperva Cyber Community

communities_1.jpg
 View Only
  • 1.  Database Permissions

Posted 08-09-2021 03:56
    Hello,

Am having a challenge configuring the required permissions to the Imperva user on my all databases so as to achieve
    1. Data Classification
    2. Risk Assessment
    3. Stored Procedures
    4. User Rights Management
    When I run the scans I keep getting a warning that it failed, make sure that the MSSql user [imperva] on the server has the required permissions to access: databases.

Anyone who has experienced the same.
    Kindly help.
    #DatabaseActivityMonitoring

------------------------------
    Winnie Wanjohi
    Information Security Officer
    Higher Education Loans Board
    Nairobi

• 2.  RE: Database Permissions

Posted 08-10-2021 09:56
    I use an active directory user to scan MsSQL databases without any issue.

Has your user been defined correctly to the database, and have permissions been added for the user as described in the Required Permissions section of the user guide?

In the server group - service in the site tree is your database connection defined with the correct information?

• 3.  RE: Database Permissions

Posted 08-11-2021 01:46

Robert,

Thanks for your response, I've been trying to use an MsSQL account, let me try with an active directory user.

Sincerely,

Winnie Wanjohi

• 4.  RE: Database Permissions

Posted 08-11-2021 01:55
      |   view attached

Robert,

Which document did you work with? Am using the attached to configure required permissions.

Sincerely,

Winnie Wanjohi

Attachment(s)

• 5.  RE: Database Permissions

Posted 08-11-2021 01:59
      |   view attached

Robert,

Thanks for your response, I've been trying to use an MsSQL account, let me try with an active directory user. Which document did you work with? Am using the attached to configure the required permissions.

Sincerely,

Winnie Wanjohi

Winnie Wanjohi
    Information Security Officer
    Higher Education Loans Board
    Nairobi

Attachment(s)

• 6.  RE: Database Permissions

Posted 08-11-2021 09:42
    I use the required permissions section of Database Activity Monitoring User Guide for the DAM version and database type that I'm using.
    And then have a dba add the permissions for the type of scanning that I need to do.

I only try to run data classification scans until I make sure that a scan will work.

So quickly the steps would be --
    Get user created that can access the database (local or AD depending on db type)
    Have DBA add permissions for that user
    In site tree, configure the database connection, test connection to see that it works.
        If the connection errors out, expand the details to see the actual message
        If your connection can not reach the db server, on the MX use nmap to see if the port is open.
        If you have account issues work with the dba to get those resolved
    Then configure scan - see your previous post about data classification there is more information there.

I was not able to look at your attachment, as we have restrictions on downloading.

• 7.  RE: Database Permissions

Posted 08-13-2021 10:02

Great post and thanks for helping out, Robert.

FYI @Robert Miller You may be able to view the document in the library entry

​​

Sarah Lamont(csp)
    Digital Community Manager