Imperva Cyber Community

communities_1.jpg
 View Only
  • 1.  Data Classification when Databases/Instances Move From Server to Server

Posted 12-29-2020 08:25
    Edited by Jana Lee 12-29-2020 08:46

I am currently trying to leverage data classification but am struggling because our SQL Server databases frequently move from server to server. For example, a database may be on Server A today, I scan it, go through and mark the true positives as "accepted", and it gets added to the Site Group table group for that data type. Two weeks from now, the DBA team may move that database to another server that is part of a different server group as our database servers house multiple application databases. My assumption is the entire process of vetting each data element and marking it accepted/rejected for the table group has to occur again on this new server. Seems like I will always be one steps behind and constantly re-evaluating data elements that have already been evaluated with each database move. Any ideas?

Should I remove Server Group from the table group name so that all table/columns for every MSSQL database appear in the same table group regardless of server/server group? Could this potentially cause performance issues?

#DatabaseActivityMonitoring

------------------------------
    Jana Lee
    Cybersecurity Engineer/DBA
    Regions Bank

• 2.  RE: Data Classification when Databases/Instances Move From Server to Server

Posted 12-31-2020 10:25
    Jana,
    On the site tree, you can manually apply an already created table group to a service.  Just hit the green plus in the applied table groups field and add it to the list, you don't have to rescan for this data.  Every time you apply a table group to a service, it will consume more memory.  If these are large table groups, I would advise caution with applying them to everything.  Having the same reasonable sized table groups on the a few services should be ok.  It is hard to be more specific without knowing more about your environment.

Paul Hammons
    Imperva Senior Sales Engineer
    Cape Coral, Florida