Imperva Cyber Community

communities_1.jpg
 View Only
  • 1.  Changing CPU and RAM for Virtual appliance WAF

Posted 08-26-2020 08:40
    Hello,

Is it possible to change CPU and RAM for existing v2500 virtual machine  on VMware ESXi ?
    What happens if you just increase the parameters in the VM's settings?
    #On-PremisesWAF(formerlySecuresphere)

------------------------------
    Anton Kazantsev
    JSC Tochka

• 2.  RE: Changing CPU and RAM for Virtual appliance WAF

Posted 08-26-2020 09:25
    You can add additional resources, we just upgraded memory and storage on all our gateways to prepare for a v14 upgrade.  
    If your VM does not have hotplug enabled, then you have to reboot the VM to pick up the changes.

I do not know if the appliance model would affect if those new resources get used. 
    CPU usage may be limited by model, memory should be used as the new specs show either 16gb or 8gb for a v2500 depending on DRA.

• 3.  RE: Changing CPU and RAM for Virtual appliance WAF

Posted 08-26-2020 09:59
    Hi Anton,
    To add to what Robert stated. Gateways have set requirements for CPU and RAM for each version. Increasing those more than the stated requirement does not improve performance or are used. The HDD space can be increased and used with the proper commands. The MX can use more CPU and RAM and gain performance based on the minimum requirements MX get the best performance with 32 GB of RAM.

Scott Morgan
    Impreva

• 4.  RE: Changing CPU and RAM for Virtual appliance WAF

Posted 08-26-2020 14:16
    I found this  note in documentation:
    "Changing the number of CPUs is only supported with VM150 model. Attempting to change the CPU with any other model is not supported and can lead to supportability issues. Memory is a minimum requirement for that model, more may be allocated as needed."

Thats why I was think that CPU must not be change (due to perfomance degradation and license violations), but RAM can. Including for upgrade purposes.

But there is another note:
    "Adding memory is only available with the SecureSphere VM150 model."
    which is confusing
    ​​

Anton Kazantsev
    JSC Tochka