Imperva Cyber Community

communities_1.jpg
 View Only
  • 1.  Incapsula - site.com and www.site.com

Posted 10-30-2019 14:32
    I am migrating some sites from an on premise SecureSphere to the Incapsula WAF.
    I am running through the wizard driven setup in Incapsula and have worked on a site where there currently is site.com and www.site.com are hosted on the same IP address.
    In the website settings in Incapsula there are two DNS settings listed for this site:

The www has an incapdns CNAME and the site.com has two IP addresses for an A record. 45.60.115.235 & 45.60.86.235

Can someone explain how these two records function together please.
    I assume it is to enable a single website in Incapsula to cover both the site.com and www versions without needing two to be setup.
    #CloudWAF(formerlyIncapsula)

------------------------------
    Jonathan Kimpson

• 2.  RE: Incapsula - site.com and www.site.com

Posted 10-30-2019 16:06
    The CNAME record is for the full URL (www.mysite.com or myserver.mysite.com). The CNAME is required and will be used to resolve any client in the world to the closest Imperva PoP (Point of Presence). The A records are recommended but not required for the root domain, mysite.com in example above. A root domain may not use a CNAME. Often users will not always specify a full url and that traffic will be routed via the A record.

Chris Stensager

• 3.  RE: Incapsula - site.com and www.site.com

Posted 10-30-2019 16:37
    Hi Jonathan,

To expand upon Chris's answer, an apex zone (site.com) cannot use a CNAME, hence the two A records.

An apex zone must contain a Start of Authority (SOA) record as well as a Name Server (NS) record. When a CNAME is present there must be no other records at that node.

Jaired Anderson
    Senior Professional Services Consultant
    imperva
    Tulsa OK