Imperva Cyber Community

communities_1.jpg
 View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

How do I buy a good bot so I can buy the sneakers I want? It appears that bots are used on popular product releases, are there good bots for buying?

• 1.  How do I buy a good bot so I can buy the sneakers I want? It appears that bots are used on popular product releases, are there good bots for buying?

Posted 06-14-2020 15:10
    In a recent webinar, Cloud WAF Advanced Bot Protection (ABP)customers asked several questions. One of the questions was around Imperva's product called Cloud WAF Advanced Bot Protection (ABP) I will have Impeva's very own @Brooks Cunningham answer this question. ​It's focused on sneaker bots. 
    #AdvancedBotProtection
    #CloudWAF(formerlyIncapsula)

------------------------------
    Christopher Detzel
    Community Manager
    Imperva

• 2.  RE: How do I buy a good bot so I can buy the sneakers I want? It appears that bots are used on popular product releases, are there good bots for buying?

Posted 06-15-2020 07:49
    @Christopher Detzel

If you are the website owner of the sneaker provider, I would recommend to go into the internal sales. But if you are wanting to buy sneakers at a website that you are not, don't have an affiliation on, I don't know if I would consider that a good bot because you're using automation to potentially get ahead of other people that are trying to access inventory. Sneaker bots are actually a really interesting use case and we do, there's a couple of customers that I can think of off the top of my head, but that do have an issue with sneaker bots because there are a very novel type of products and there's a lot of demand for it. And bots will target those types of inventories. But I guess to that specific question, it depends on how you're interacting with the website, if you're an official... In an official capacity, as a far as an employee of that company. 

Related Content: 

Brooks Cunningham

• 3.  RE: How do I buy a good bot so I can buy the sneakers I want? It appears that bots are used on popular product releases, are there good bots for buying?

Posted 06-16-2020 09:58
    Imperva won't make a recommendation on a particular bot to use to buy shoes :)

However, if you are interested in learning more about the sneaker bot ecosystem, check out this article:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/meet-the-virginia-teen-who-created-bird-bot-fueling-nintendo-switch-hoarders/2020/04/27/345919fe-889f-11ea-ac8a-fe9b8088e101_story.html

You can also just go to github and search for your favorite sneaker brand.  You will also see how they say "this bot no longer works".

Jim