Imperva Cyber Community

communities_1.jpg
 View Only
  • 1.  Data Classification

Posted 07-08-2021 06:02
    Anyone with documentation on Data Classification. I need to know how Data Classification would assist me.
    #DatabaseActivityMonitoring

------------------------------
    Winnie Wanjohi
    Information Security Officer
    Higher Education Loans Board
    Nairobi

• 2.  RE: Data Classification
    Best Answer

Posted 07-15-2021 09:53
    Data Classification is well documented in the Imperva manuals.

One way it could help you is to identify sensitive data items that would may require additional monitoring.
    You can use the output from a scan to setup table groups to use as additional criteria for policies.

For data classification you will need an account and privileges to the database you need to run a scan against.  The list of privileges is in the documentation for various database types.
    Then configure a database connection under the service in the site tree.

In Discovery & Classification - Scans Management 
        Configure a scan profile and a data classification scan to scan for the data types you are interested in.
        The table group name is defined in the data type definition under data types configuration

Once you run the scan, it may generate several thousand columns that need to be reviewed to find sensitive items and eliminate false positives.
    Typically I have to export that list in a report and then send to the application owner to review as I do not know the structure of their databases.

Once an item is accepted, it will be added to a table group.

• 3.  RE: Data Classification

Posted 07-16-2021 11:02
    Here is a great walk through article:
    https://community.imperva.com/blogs/craig-burlingame1/2020/11/12/configuring-a-scan-for-sensitive-data-imperva-dam

Basically, Data Classification (or Sensitive Data Scanning) let's you prioritize your protection and your policies.  Do you have a server with a lot of sensitive data on it? Make sure it is patched before the others.  Do you have a policy about how many records someone can take in one time?  Make that threshold lower for anyone accessing sensitive data.  We also use it in our DRA algorithms for assessing how risky some behavior is (anything that involves sensitive data is automatically considered riskier so it gets a lower behavior threshold).

Jim

Jim Burtoft (Prm)
    SE
    State College PA