Imperva Cyber Community

communities_1.jpg
 View Only
  • 1.  Discovery and classification does not find view if column name is changed with AS

Posted 02-18-2021 07:54

Hi,

I have done some testing regarding discovery and classification and notice scan did not find the views. I was expecting during the discovery the view is looked from design point of view, but instead of it looks fields from SELECT point of view. To explain in more details

I have a view where one of the column is credit_card_number, but in the view design it is named as dbo.credit_card_number AS xyz and when doing the scan, name based search does not see dbo.credit_card_number and it is missed, because of different naming. Only way to catch this field would be to use content based search, but what if you have information which could not be described with regex? Can this be security risk because discovery scan will never detect there is a view accessing confidential column and audit will never show it, even if you have table and column added on table group, because access is done over sql view. Is there any way to prevent this OOB?

Summary what I have tried to tell: if view is not added to table group because of custom naming, somebody could get confidential information without being aware.

Regards

#DatabaseActivityMonitoring

------------------------------
    Rok Ponikvar
    SYSTEM ENGINEER
    Ljubljana

• 2.  RE: Discovery and classification does not find view if column name is changed with AS

Posted 02-18-2021 11:05
    Hello,

Just to be sure have you checked the Scan Views and Synonyms in the scan profile you are applying?

Br,

Sabajete Elezaj
    Systems Engineer
    Snt Albania
    Tirana

• 3.  RE: Discovery and classification does not find view if column name is changed with AS

Posted 02-19-2021 02:27
    Hi,

I have applied Scan views and Synonyms. I have tested this with 2 views, one having original names and other having custom names. For original names I had discovered results, while for custom names only content based search worked (credit cards case).

Regards

Rok Ponikvar
    SYSTEM ENGINEER
    Ljubljana