Imperva Cyber Community

communities_1.jpg
 View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

When editing a URL Parameter Value Type, how to choose between Latin Characters and Foreign Language Characters (UTF-8)?

• 1.  When editing a URL Parameter Value Type, how to choose between Latin Characters and Foreign Language Characters (UTF-8)?

Posted 08-16-2022 22:23
    Dear all,

For the Parameter Type in Imperva Web Application Profile, there are 3 options:  Numeric, Foreign Language Characters (UTF-8), Latin Characters. Currently one of our parameter is set to Foreign Language Characters (UTF-8). According to what the WAF has learnt from the user traffic, it is suggesting to change to use Latin Characters. As I see from the WAF management GUI, they are just English/US characters, so I cannot figure out any reason for it's suggestion to change? Any one has this experience before to share?

Also, do you have any documentation to tell the difference(s) between Foreign Language Characters (UTF-8) & Latin Characters?

Thank you!
    #On-PremisesWAF(formerlySecuresphere)

------------------------------
    Ken Chau
    IT Manager
    Industrial and Commercial Bank of China (Asia) Limited
    Central Hong Kong
    ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: When editing a URL Parameter Value Type, how to choose between Latin Characters and Foreign Language Characters (UTF-8)?

Posted 08-17-2022 07:32
    Edited by Karol Gruszczynski 08-17-2022 07:51
    Hi,

You do not have to change it.
    I suppose that WAF has fewer characters in LATIN to analyze, which is why to give you the proposed change.

few words about characters in WAF:

Default characters are defaults, and it is impossible to change them. But you can set "character set" for your website in Setup-> Site ->your Site ->your service->your application:

and you can configure "parameter type configuration" in Global Objects -> https://docs.imperva.com/bundle/v14.5-web-application-firewall-user-guide/page/2581.htm