Imperva Cyber Community

communities_1.jpg
 View Only
  • 1.  MX Export/Backup Location

Posted 09-19-2023 09:19

I'm attempting to test the backup and restore of our version 14.7 MX server.

When triggering an export from the web console admin/maintenance page, the export/backup tgz file ends up in /var/tmp.
    However, when I try to run the import-local command from an ssh session to the MX and tab to complete, only tgz files in /var/tmp/server-backups are displayed.
    How does a backup get into that directory? When I do an export from the web console it does not go into that directory.
    If I attempt to point import-local to a file in /var/tmp using the --dmpfile parameter I just get an error sayinh the choice in invalid.

#On-PremisesWAF(formerlySecuresphere)

------------------------------
    Rick Bowden
    Infrastructure/DevOps Engineer
    Aviva plc
    Eastleigh

• 2.  RE: MX Export/Backup Location

Posted 09-20-2023 02:48

Hi Rick,

Please follow this article: https://docs.imperva.com/bundle/z-kb-articles-km/page/75769035.html

I hope this will be helpful to you.

Regards,
    𝐌𝐢𝐭𝐞𝐬𝐡 𝐌𝐞𝐡𝐭𝐚
    Senior Security Consultant
    Mumbai

• 3.  RE: MX Export/Backup Location

Posted 09-20-2023 07:20

Hello Rick,

Thank you for your post, by default the export file will be saved under /var/tmp during export, however you can choose your own path, where you want to save the file and the default extension is .tgz for the MX export, hope this answers your query, let us know if you face any challenges while importing the config.

Syed Noor Fazal
    Product Support Engineer

• 4.  RE: MX Export/Backup Location

Posted 09-21-2023 03:21

Thanks for the reply Syed. I was facing problems with the import-remote command, which might turn out to be my ever changing environment and might not be solvable. So I pulled down a copy of the export/backup from s3 and attempted to do an import-local which also fails.
    I raised a support case and we spent some time going through this. The import-local command should work but might have been broken by version 14.7.
    In the end, unsealing the MX and using the full_expimp.sh script worked OK for me.  

Rick Bowden
    Infrastructure/DevOps Engineer
    Aviva plc
    Eastleigh

• 5.  RE: MX Export/Backup Location

Posted 09-25-2023 07:40

Hello Rick,

Thank you for the update and glad to know that the issue was resolved by unsealing the MX.

Syed Noor Fazal
    Product Support Engineer